RE: Tracking program limitation

Guys,

I've been messing around with a small program of my own, to do Doppler etc.

It current has NO graphics, and none are intended. Its just a small data
engine.

I've tried a few different programs, including Ham Radio Deluxe.

HRD is VERY worth a look.

See: http://hrd.ham-radio.ch/

However, for what I wanted to do, it was not perfect *because* of what I
wanted to do next.

So this is what I've been up to:

1) Using a US$20.00 Beta of Microsoft Visual Studio 2005, I've written a
simple TCP client that talks to Nova for Windows.

See: http://www.nlsa.com/nfw.html

2) (Many sat tracking and logging programs support DDE, but the more recent
Microsoft tools DO NOT, so no more DDE.)

3) Using the info from the Nova help files, I've taken the sat "range rate",
and computed the Dopper values.

4) Now working on sending the up and down-link VFO data out the COM port to
my TS-2000. This is somewhat working now.

Overall result to date: Much less than HRD already does much better!!!

5) Future: Add rotator control.

6) Future: Refine all above and replace Nova with something like plan-13 by
James Miller, G3RUH.

See: http://www.amsat.org/amsat/articles/g3ruh/111.txt

7) Future: Reduce and shrink code. Pour all into a small PIC Microchip and
disconnect the PC. *** The real point of all this. ***

Future Results: Something like whats already been done by Howard Long,
G6LVB.

See: http://www.g6lvb.com/Articles/LVBTracker/index.htm (He has one that
runs stand-alone now. No PC.)

The end of all this is so that working all passes is a simple matter of
turning on the rig and hitting a couple of buttons.

Possible sad end result: It will be as easy as using the local 2m repeater,
so whats the point ?

Because Ham Radio and related stuff is my hobby and its fun to play via the
sats and ISS etc. ENJOY!

Regards,
Jim, ZL1TYF.

URLs included: Credit where credit is due!