Re: Newbie question...How important is 1.2 GHZ coverage?

Hi Guys,

Been busy this weekend so slow in replying on this one.

One thing you should realize about buying a radio with the 1.2 GHz module
enclosed in the cabinet is that you will need super low-loss cable to get
very much of the Tx power up to the antenna.  Above 432-MHz most mw'ers opt
to place their gear up near the antenna to get around the high cost of
hardline.  I would suggest you might consider buying a xvtr which can be
remotely located near your antenna.  The problem is most xvtrs are designed
either for 1268 or 1296 and do not operate over both frequencies.  Also
there are not many 1268 xvtrs (or tx converters) on the market right now.

So if you decide on the Kenwood  with internal 1.2 GHz module, plan on
adding a power amp up at the antenna.  You can get plenty power to drive a
15w PA using RG-213 and 10w output from the kenwood.  Downeast Microwave
makes an assortment of 1.2 GHz PA's that will work both frequencies fine.

Sidenote:  I am using the FT-847 with a DEMI 1268/144 Tx conv. with 15w
output (not available anymore).  I am using two 45-ele. loop-yagis for
1268-1300 MHz.  Also have a 60w 1.2 GHz PA for when you need it :-)  I am
running this up 7/8-inch hardline and still get less than 50% up at the
antenna!

73's Ed - KL7UW

73's,
Ed - KL7UW