Re: Newbie question...How important is 1.2 GHZ coverage?

I second Joe's opinion.  I have one of those module-less 736's, and at times
wish I had acted earlier to get it upgraded, but the $550 (list) cost
stopped me.  Now, even if I had the money, you can't find one.  But, as Joe
points out, the lack of a 1.2 module hasn't stopped me from enjoying nearly
every satellite and mode.  If you're considering not getting something else
that will make your station work really well on the bands it has, spend your
money there first.  Then go after the 1.2.

Greg  KO6TH

Michael,

     1.2 GHz equipment is quite rare and difficult to find.  I went
searching for anything that would work 1269 MHz at Dayton this year and
found one piece of used equipment (an FM handheld).  I still regret not
buying it, and when I went back it was gone.  The only currently available
1.2 GHz equipment I am aware are the modules for the IC-910 and the TS-2000.
If you follow the newsgroups and eBay there simply is not any used 1.2 GHz
gear available.  The exception is an occasional FM radio from Japan on eBay.
Having the 1.2 GHz module will at least double the resale value of most
radios that had one for an option.  Having said all of this, I have been a
ham for about 20 years and been quite active on satellite for 18 and have
never used any 1269 gear.

     I believe the TS-2000 is probably a fine radio, but you may want to
investigate whether or not it is real usable on several satellites due to
birdies in the 435 Mhz receive.  If I were buying the TS-2000 I would want
to know that for sure.  Then I would buy it with 1.2 GHz just to help
protect my investment.  As many FT-736, IC-970, TS-790 owners can tell you,
do NOT count on the module being available later.  When the production is
done the modules will vanish.  If I were buying a radio just to have HF with
a satellite radio (and not worried about 1269 MHz) I would look long and
hard at the FT-847 and spend the money saved on antennas.

Just My Opinion,
73,
Joe kk0sd