From: "Peter Martinez" <peter.martinez>
To: "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga@usna.edu>
Subject: Re: PCSAT2 PSK31 tests
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 20:32:12 -0000

Bob:

Quite a bit more activity today, but as far as I know, no two-way QSO. Most
stations still seem to be mesmerised by hearing their own signals drifting
far faster than they can handle, and have not yet moved on to the problems
of simultaneously receiving another station.

I predict that there will very soon be a demand for Doppler tracking aids
that can handle the PSK31 uplink Doppler correction requirement. There are
several ways this could be done.  If we just think of using existing Doppler
correction software, then it needs to handle a step size of the order of
1Hz, and a Doppler rate of abour 14Hz/sec maximum (for ISS). I suspect that
this may be beyond the capabilities of some of the presently available
programs, and may be beyond the ability of some presently available
transceivers. The stepsize and the update rate are the problem areas. At
least one station has tried with a 10Hz stepsize system and it's not
workable. If a 1Hz stepsize radio existed, it would need to have it's
frequency updated at least 14 times per second.

Another solution is to extend the capabilities of the PSK31 programs. One
way to do this would be to incorporate a link between such a PSK31 program
and an existing Doppler tracking program, so that the PSK31 program can
slide the transmitter audio tone frequency up in the required manner. The
tricky part here is that we still need the 1Hz stepsize and the 14Hz/sec
rate, and, as I said above, the current Doppler tracking programs may not
have this resolution. One way round this might be for the PSK31 program
receiving the Doppler data, at for example 10 second intervals, to
interpolate between the frequencies provided in order to 'smooth out' the
frequency of the transmit audio tone. This might require that the Doppler
program calculate frequency values ahead of time, for example 5 secs ahead
if the PSK31 program was going to linearly interpolate over 10 secs. This
solution would be limited to uplinks where the total Doppler swing was less
than about 2.4kHz, in practice to uplinks below 30MHz.

Both of the above solutions are 'open loop', and could be applied to
automated uplinks.

Another way to solve the PSK31 uplink Doppler correction requirement is the
way I am doing it, where the transmitting station feeds-back the Doppler
correction from reception of his own downlink signal. This solution is
unique to the linear-up/FM-down transponder scheme and can be implemented
entirely in software for uplinks below 30MHz. The advantage is that it
doesn't need keplers but the disadvantage is that is does require the sender
to transmit continuously, and QRM of the sender's downlink can disrupt the
tracking, so it's not a solution that can be applied to an automated uplink,
only to a manually-operated one.  I have verified that a second-order AFC
loop is quite capable of handling any Doppler drift likely to be
experienced. This kind of loop is not stressed by Doppler drift rate itself
but there are limitations on the double-rate-of-change of Doppler that such
a system can handle. The maximum that PCSAT2/ISS presents for this parameter
is +/-0.23 Hz/sec/sec on an overhead pass. There are two critical points
about 25-30 seconds each side of TNA. My scheme would appear to handle this
well on a simulated signal, but since I never get an ovehead pass from the
ISS here, I can't verify that on the real ISS. The worst I experience is
0.14 Hz/sec/sec.

I believe we should actively solicit designers/programmers to tackle this
project urgently, drawing attention to the problem and providing the details
needed to make sure that these guys can come up with usable solutions within
the lifetime of PCSAT2.  If we don't tackle this soon, I think the users
will migrate away from PSK31 on PCSAT2 and swap to other wider-bandwidth
modes where the Doppler shift problem does not need to be solved. The result
will be a far less efficient use of the transponder bandwidth.

I do not have the capability or desire to do this kind of mass-market
software myself. I am just an experimenter. I am very willing to pass on the
results of any of my experiments to others. This is how I worked with the
original PSK31 systems. I just demonstrated that it could be done (in
software on a soundcard/PC), and the end-user programs were written by
others far more skilled in this task than me.

Copy this to whoever you wish.

73
Peter G3PLX