Re: Newbie question...How important is 1.2 GHZ coverage?

Hi Micheal,

Welcome to the satellites :)

I have a TS-790A with the 1.2 GHz module, and enjoyed using it when the opportunity permitted (not frequent, but it's fun to have the mode available when it can be used).

When I bought a TS-2000 a year or so back, I bought the "X" version with the 1.2 GHz module installed.  I figure it will be handy again (have made some satellite contacts with it), and it will also keep it "more useful, longer" as the years go by.  No regrets.

I figure if you anticipate staying in satellites and using the rig more than 4-5 years, get it *now* when you buy the rig---you'll be glad you did!  Otherwise, use your money elsewhere...

73,

Mark N8MH

At 12:26 PM 8/14/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi everyone,
> I am new to satellites and I've been doing a lot of research as well as listening to Echo passes and tracking them. It appears good fortune has smiled upon me and I'm going to be able to purchase a Kenwood TS-2000 in the near future. I'm debating whether I need to go ahead and get one with a 1.2ghz module installed or not. I'm wondering how important it will be to me in the future.  My budget is limited and whether or not I spend the extra money will affect other decisions I have to make in regard to equipment for my station. On the other hand, I'm worried about discovering I really need the 1.2 gig coverage a year or two down the road and having to buy the unit and send it and the rig off to Kenwood to have it installed. Any thoughts?
>Tnx and 73,
>Michael, W4HIJ
>----

Mark L. Hammond  [N8MH]