Re: SAT_EXPLORER

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cliff Buttschardt" <k7rr@arrl.net>

> All the fancy color presentations and multi views become of less value
> when real world operating is the goal.  We have far too many programs
> meant as showpieces to be sold rather than operated!

You've been reading my mind.

Given that most amateurs don't understand Doppler and are lost when it comes
to tracking a radio on a linear transponder the software should hide the
user from the underlying complexities so that they feel comfortable using a
FM or linear transponder satellite. (I am excluding digital modes here as I
don't use them.)

As radio amateurs are becoming more appliance operators rather than
traditional experimenters / hobbyists I believe the above will become more
important. FWIW you can get a HB9 licence without ever using a soldering
iron!!!

Over the last 4 weeks or so I have not heard a single linear transponder QSO
on FO-29 or VO-52 where both sides have been applying Doppler correction.

There are some very nice interfaces available - spinning globes, satellite
orbits and footprints, but actually driving the radio - that's where the
frustration sets in.

Simon Brown
---
www.hb9drv.ch www.laax.ch