Re: SAT_EXPLORER

K.J.EATON wrote:
> Hi all,
> I do not know if Jim has had any personal responses to his enquiry  -
> However it did bring to mind something that was mentioned
> at this years Amsat - UK  Colloquium.
> I gave a presentation  on " An Overview  of Prediction and Tracking
> software" Due to the limited time factor and the number
> of  software programmes available however I was unable to go into depth on
> each ones merits and some of the problems or
> requests that arise.
> I know that many of the software writers do their best to respond to
> enquiries which seem to re - appear on a regular basis.
> It was proposed to me that it would be a good idea if perhaps " User
> Groups" could be formed to help with exchanging any
> information on solutions and possible updates to software.
>
> Perhaps if anyone is willing, then now is a good time step forward and form
> such agroup for the software that you have in use or
> experience with.
> We could publish details on Amsat web sites and publications that each
> organisation produces.
> Ken Eaton
> GW1FKY
> Amsat - UK
> Amsat NA
> -----

Jim and Ken.  I just read the AMSAT-UK proceedings last week at the
Small Satellite Conference in Logan, Utah.  Jan King and I moderated
the forum in which we referenced your listing containing available
programs.  My suggestion would be, list what functions each program
will accomplish starting with ANT TRACKING then DOPPLER, then prediction
of AOS, LOS for multi locations.  These three would be absolute minimum!
Any program NOT including transceiver Doppler correction will be useless
to ham radio rapidly.  The applicable operating system for each program
is equally useful.  IE:  IT(dos), NOVA(win), PREDICT(dos & GNU)
All the fancy color presentations and multi views become of less value
when real world operating is the goal.  We have far too many programs
meant as showpieces to be sold rather than operated!    Cliff K7RR