Re: Website Request

I had to rush out the door to take my housemate to the train, so my
is that this is used for on-page connections.  In the new design each
satellite has it's own page.  This changes from having one huge page
for all satellites to one page per satellite.

There are several advantages to using the NORAD ID number, the first
being that it is unique and unambiguous.  It's also tight and easily
indexed in the database, thus providing a compact and fast
index.  This provides a slight performance improvement.

I'm sure there will be some who will complain about breaking the
status page into separate pages, but the fact of the matter is that
the big page has many disadvantages.  It  doesn't really tell the
story, and takes forever to load if someone is on a dial-up
connection.  From a user perspective why load all the data for all
the satellites if all you are interested in is a single
satellite.  It makes sense to generate a single page for a single satellite.

This doesn't mean we won't have a big page - we will.  Once the data
is in the database its just another simple transformation of the data
to produce the "one page" list.  Since we will have so much more
information, we will have to abbreviate what we put out.

73,

Emily

At 07:19 AM 8/9/2005, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>That's fine - a good logical solution. If you look at the source of
>http://www.qrz.com/detail/HB9DRV you'll see that I can extract the data from
>the HTML although it's a bit of a struggle. If you can design a clearly
>logical page similar to QRZ.com's approach or even better have a
>corresponding page with just raw data (tag and value) that would be great.
>
>If you want to shout at me offline please feel free.
>
>Simon Brown
>---
>www.hb9drv.ch www.laax.ch
>
>----- Original Message ----- From: "Emily Clarke" <w0eec@amsat.org>
>

>>This won't be the case.  It will most likely be something more like
>>http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/satellites/status.php?n=28375
>>
>>where n= the norad ID for a satellite.  This eliminates confusion with
>>things like #AO-51 vs AO51 vs Echo.

W0EEC - CM87tm

Join AMSAT!  http://www.amsat.org