Re: Re: Re: POSAT MODE -YOUR SAY

This is an area that is currently under
re-development.  Currently information is in
discrete HTML pages that were authored by several
people over time.  Some were maintained, some
were not.  The information from Steve N7HPR is
pretty good generally, but there are some errors
there, and satellites were dropped from the
summary "Index" when they became non-operational.

The redesign involved designing a database to
hold the information in a consistent
manner.  This was not trivial, and will as we get
data entered (I have one volunteer doing that
presently) we might find that we have to change
the database design to include other
features.  We have a working prototype that we
are using to evaluate the design and user
interface.  One other goal is to improve the
access all the information about a particular satellite.

Once we have "blessed" the database design we
will provide an RSS feed and an XML interface with DTD and XSLT.

There is no "timetable" per se - this is all done with volunteer labour.

73,

Emily

At 08:58 AM 8/8/2005, you wrote:
>If I may make a general, polite criticism about
>the AmSat Op-/Non-Op/Status pages for the sats. ...
>
>Basically the information is not in a complete
>and consistent format and varies from sat. to
>sat. requiring additional searches to find the
>full picture for each one. It would be nice (and
>should be the case) that one click from the main
>AmSat web page should enable us to look for an
>individual sat. and instantly know it's history
>and current status including modes, up/down-link frequencies, power levels etc.
>
>Loathe as I am to volunteer to gather this
>information, I would be willing to do so over a
>period of time but this would require the input
>of informed sources, of which I am not one :-(
>However, I'm sure that there are others better
>positioned to do this in a more timely and accurate fashion.
>
>Any takers?
>
>Félim M3HIM
>RSGB: RS184119
>AmSat UK: 6464