From: Robert Bruninga <bruninga@usna.edu>
Sent: Aug 8, 2005 7:24 AM
To: k6yk@juno.com
Cc: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: [amsat-bb] POSAT as a Digipeater

(stuff deleted...)

CONVERSLY:
But in my mind the REAL need for digital is in the
MOBILE environment.  Everyone of us is mobile
at least twice a day and sometimes that takes
us outside the existing digital amateur infrastrcuture.
That is where the digital satellites can do the most
for a very large number of hams.

SImply enable digipeating.  Let the user on the
ground determine how he will use this bent-pipe
capability.  Every D7 and D700 HT and Mobile
rig can communicate as is front panel to front
panel via a digipeating satellite and laptop
to laptop real-time with users at both ends.
Any other HT and an external TNC can do the
same.

 To me, this real-time, human-to-human comms
is the ideal "wireless" application of HAM satellites
TUrn on the digipeater and support hundreds
of users per pass...

The good news, is that POSAT can do BOTH all
the time shared.  Thus those that want to
send digital files back and forth can do it, and those
that want to do real-time digitial comms can do
that too...

Just operate it in digital mode with digipeat ON.

Bob, Wb4APR