Re: Re: Re POSAT Mode - Your Say

I pay my dues to AmSat UK despite the fact that my current UK license does not allow me to work the birds. I have been fascinated by amateur satellites since my teens, some 25 years or more ago (pre AO-10 launch), and feel it's a cause worth supporting. I hope to make a return on my investment soon by getting the appropriate license and contributing more than just financially to the AmSat community.

As with ground based repeaters, many donate their valuable time and effort to build and support this kit and it's only fair that those who use them regularly should finance them.

[:-) BEGIN Humorous aside]

On the subject of finance ... many have posted messages here regarding PO-28 offering their 1, 2, 5 ... cent worth but, apart from Bill Greene VE7WFG who made his CA/US conversion rate clear, it is difficult to judge if we are talking AU, CA, EU, NZ, US or other cent, so it's hard to place a value on the strength of their feeling on the subject. Please include the appropriate currency symbol when posting future "I want data / I want voice" proposals.

[END Humorous aside :-)]

> From: "Andrew Glasbrenner" <glasbrenner@mindspring.com>
> Date: 2005/08/07 Sun PM 09:53:22 GMT
> To: <VEFRH@aol.com>,  <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
> CC: <g3wgm@amsat.org>
> Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Re POSAT Mode - Your Say
>
> Other than forgetting about GO-32, I fully agree with Robin. Whatever mode
> it goes in must be balanced with the other available satellites, and the new
> command stations level of participation. Personally I'd like to see it in
> data the majority of the time. Perhaps 9k6 Mon-Thur, 38.4 Friday, and Voice
> on the weekend (when the FMs are traditionally the busiest)
>
> Someone asked about power levels...if I recall UO-14 was 4 watts? and PO-28
> is a near cousin in size. This is a 50 kg satellite, much bigger and with
> much more power generation than AO-51. Given how AO-51 becomes beyond
> overcrowded as the downlink power goes up, and UO-14 was often a solid
> garbled mess of stations, I think data is the more productive mode.
>
> As far as what gets sent in data modes, rest assured it is just as valid a
> amateur radio pursuit as the self titled "breakfast club" saying hi to each
> other each pass, every pass, on every satellite, everyday.
>
> I'd suggest that those offering suggestions also be prepared to offer their
> financial support, as in pay your dues and be a member of your national
> AMSAT organization. Let's not look a gift horse in the mouth too much
> either! Whatever mode it ends up in will be a benefit to all of us.
>
> 73, Drew KO4MA
> AMSAT-NA #33438

Félim M3HIM
RSGB: RS184119