Re: POSAT Mode - Your Say

I agree with Robin on this.  We used to have KO-23, KO-25 and UO-22 that
were full time digital satellites.  We soon lost KO-23 and KO-25,
leaving only UO-22.  Now it is gone too. We need at least one digital
satellite we can depend on every day.  I still run a satgate station
here and the terresterial packet traffic has had to sit here for several
days at a time when the 9k6 BBS capability is off for various reasons.
I think there are more FM/SSB voice capabilities available than digital
capabilities.

Additionally, I have heard it said that PO-28 should be returned to
operate as UO-14 did.  For those of us who can remember that far back,
UO-14 was originally operated as a joint Amateur/Commercial digital BBS
satellite before it was transferred to commercial operation and returned
again later to Amateur service as an FM voice repeater.  It seems to me
I recall that there was a technical reason for having to do that.  I may
be mistaken.

Having a full time digital satellite made it possible for experiments
involving remote Amateur digital WX stations in Antarctica that were
digipeating data to South Africa and then being relayed to Students in
California who built the stations.  All of this came to an end with the
death of UO-22.

I plead for a full time digital BBS satellite.

73,
Roy -- W0SL