From: owner-AMSAT-BB@amsat.org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@amsat.org] On Behalf
Of DOBarrows@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, August 07, 2005 4:16 PM
To: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Type N connector question

I made my first attempt at putting on a type N connector this afternoon
after
years of using PL259s and adapters to hook up my 70cm antenna.  I found that

the tip I soldered to the center connector of my LMR-400 was a lot smaller
in
diameter than the center conductor.  I ended up grinding down the center
conductor until it fit into the pin.  Is there another type of type N
connector I
should have used?

I tried accessing a 70cm repeater at the edge of my coverage after the swap
and found that I wasn't able to access it, but this may be due to conditions

rather than my connector change.  SWR seems to be none the worse.  I am
hoping
to be able to hear the FM birds better with my omni antenna.

Dave W8IJ
Camp Hill, PA