Re: MUF and connecting to sattellites

Jerry Weihrauch wrote:

 > Does the MUF effect how well one gets their signal to a satellite
like PCSat2 on 29.400?

Only at very low elevation angles.  The MUF is usually specified for
some particular distance across the earth's surface, e.g. 3000km, and
one can calculate the angle  of incidence your signal will have with the
ionosphere for a path of that length.  For angles greater than that,
like when your signal is going to the spacecraft at some relatively high
elevation, there is less of an effect.  For example as this is being
written "foF2" the highest frequency that gets reflected from the F2
layer in the Boston area for a signal going straight up (angle of
incidence = 90 degrees) is 5.35 MHz (see digisonde.haystack.edu).  I
might have a problem on an overhead pass if the spacecraft's receiver
were on 80M.  I don't believe foF2 ever gets as high as 29 MHz.

That being said, if the MUF is above 29MHz, you may see attenuation of
your uplink at low elevation angles.  At this point of the sunspot
cycle, I don't expect you to see that very often.

-Joe KM1P