Re: Kenwood D700 setup for ISS

I have PM-3 set up for ISS APRS and PM-4 set up for ISS Cross Band.  I
leave 145.800 in my scan list.  Whenever I hear activity on 145.800
while I am mobile, I just hit PM 3 if I hear packet or PM 4 if I hear
voices.  Two button pushes and operate.

In the case of ISS APRS, it is completely hands off.  On my PM-3, I have
the path set to RS0ISS-3, I use an alternate callsign of AJ3U-6 (so I
can track it separately on Findu) and I have my MSG group set so I see
everyone's messages.  I also have the beacon rate set to 1 minute. There
is no way I could do all of that manually every time.

When the pass is over, I just go back to my standard PM 1.  Again, two
button pushes and I'm right back where I was before the pass started.

Here's how to set things up:

Just press PM (button on the right of the display).  Once you do this,
you will see the numbers 1 through 5 along the bottom.  Just pick one
that you want to assign for working the ISS repeater.  You are now in
that PM mode.  Take the time to set things up the way you want. For ISS
cross band repeater, I put 145.800 on the left side for receive and
437.800 on the right for transmit, both using the VFO.  I don't get any
more fancy than that.  The right side is the control and PTT band and I
adjust the frequency for doppler as needed.  Make sure to set the step
to 5 kHz.  I don't worry about adjusting the downlink for doppler.  It's
too much to worry about while mobile.

Continue to do this with the other PM's to set them up for different
modes that you operate.  Here's how I have mine set up:

PM1 - Normal everyday mobile operation - APRS on left side, local
repeater scanning on right
PM2 - Cross band repeater - for using my HT when away from the truck to
get more range with the HT
PM3 - ISS APRS - AJ3U-6 SSID, RS0ISS-3 path, receive all MSGs, 1 min
beacon, etc
PM4 - ISS Cross Band Repeater - 145.800 on left (receive), 437.800 on
right (transmit)
PM5 - not used yet (PCSAT2 maybe?)

It's kind of like having five D-700's with you at a time, each set up
and ready to go for different types of operating.

Hope that helps.

A.J. Farmer, AJ3U
http://www.aj3u.com

What could be easier?