Re: New to satellites, with coax question

At 02:07 PM 7/31/2005, Michael A. Tondee wrote:
>I want to use a short length of something more flexible to feed the
>antenna like maybe RG8-U to avoid the twisting of the rotator maybe
>breaking the center conductor of the 9913. What's the best way to make the
>connection between the short length of RG8-U and the 9913?  An actual
>splice or some type of connectors?

You are doing the right thing.  9913 can't survive being twisted.

Its the OUTER conductor of the 9913 that breaks easily in response to
twisting.  Breaks right at the connector.  It is very fragile.  Also water
gets in 9913 very easily, so seal the heck out of the connectors.  Wrap 'em.

I used type N coax connectors to transition from one kind of coax to
another, which is what I've seen everyone do.  There really isn't any good
way to make a reasonable "splice" without using coax connectors.

Below the rotor, where you make the transition from 9913 to your flexible
coax, make sure that you strap the flexible coax to the tower ABOVE the
connector, so that the connector doesn't try to rotate.  Don't let the
connector take any twisting force, because the 9913 below the connector
can't stand having its connector twisted.

>An N to SO-239 adapter there would be a no no as well wouldn't it because
>of signal loss in the adapter, right?

An SO-239 connector would be less than ideal.  There'd be some mismatch,
and some corresponding signal lose.

>I'm trying to get as much signal to my receiver as I can without a preamp
>which I don't have funds for.

Right on.