Re: patch antennas for AO-51

Dear friends,

I tried receiving AO-51 with a home-made LHCP patch
that had been part of an AO-40 experiment. It had
been sitting outside attached to a dish laying on the ground
and unprotected from the elements for over 2 years.
The patch was badly tarnished and the grounding
pin at the center was actually rusty.

Nonetheless, it was still quite easy to hear AO-51 through
most of a pass with it so it would be reasonable to assume
that any commercially made patch would work fine.

Here is an alternative antenna that you can easily make:

Go to the grocery store and buy something in a
3.25" diameter by 4.25" tall can. Remove the contents
and punch a 5/8" hole, 2.6" from the unopened end.
Get a single-hole, chassis mount N-connector and solder
a small piece of #14 gauge wire to it. The end of the
wire should stick up 1.25" from the base of the connector.
Attach the connector to the 5/8" hole.

This antenna can be connected directly to the down-converter
and it works about as well as a patch. AO-51 signals were
very easy to hear with it and it is light-weight,
cheap, and not too directional so it is not hard to hold
in one hand and point at the satellite.

Enjoy!
73,
Tony AA2TX