From: Trevor M5AKA <m5aka@hotmail.com>
Sent: Jul 30, 2005 9:36 PM
To: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Amateurs Get "New" FM Satellite

Amateurs Get "New"FM Satellite

It was announced at the AMSAT-UK International Space Colloquium in
Guildford, England by the AMSAT-UK secretary Jim Heck G3WGM that Amateurs
will be getting a new FM satellite to use.

PO-28 (POSAT-1) was launched on September 25th 1993. It's primary purpose
was for commercial use on frequencies outside the Amateur bands but it also
had the capability to operate on the Amateur bands. After prolonged
negotiations it has been agreed that the satellite can be switched
permanently to the Amateur frequencies.

It is expected that the process to change over the operation of the
satellite from Commercial to Amateur use will take a couple of weeks.

PO-28 (POSAT-1) was built at the University of Surrey within a collaborative
programme in satellite technology between a consortium of Portuguese
academia and Industry (LNETI, EFACEC, OGMA, MARCONI, ALCATEL, IST, UBI &
CEDINTEC) and the Univerity of Surrey, managed through Surrey Satellite
Technology Ltd.

Uplink Frequencies:   145.925 and 145.975 MHz
Downlink Frequencies: 435.075 and 435.275 MHz

Orbit    : 822 x 800 km, 98.6 deg inclined, sun-synchronous.

AMSAT-UK produces a newsletter packed full of Amateur Satellite information.
For membership details contact the secretary Jim Heck G3WGM
Tel:   +44 (0)1258 453959
Email: g3wgm@amsat.org
Website: http://www.uk.amsat.org/
--------