Re: signal source kits

owner-AMSAT-BB-digest@amsat.org writes:

From:  "Brian OZ1SKY" <amsat-bb1@houge.spamfree.dk>
Subject: [amsat-bb]  2.4GHz signal source

Hi.

In the AO40 days, seem so long ago,  there where some 2.4GHz signal
source/beacons around, both homebrew and  pro made.
Now im looking for such a device, output should be about 50mW or  so, but
havent had much luck finding any.

I need a signal source to  test some amsat and wlan antennas, so the freq
should not be lower than  2.4GHz.

Could someone point me to a maker or maybe better some  homebrew?

Regards
Brian
OZ1SKY

Hello Brian.

Most of the signal sources used for testing antennas published by  AMSAT
members (iincluding me) only generate a few microwatts to a  milliwatt.
This is perfectly OK for testing an antenna with an S band  receiver - The
idea being to determine antenna pattern or circularity by  watching the S meter.
 However, if you want to measure gain more precisely  then you need to use a
reference antenna e.g. a horn and modulate the  source......there are more
details if needed.
For 50mW you are really looking at a complete local oscillator plus a  small
amplifier (VNA series from mini circuits)
You may be able to use the local oscillator section from a  downconverter or
a local oscillator kit.   e.g. the G4DDK    004 board  (about 10mW of clean
2.4 to 2.6GHz)
I believe Down East microwave, SSB electronics, DB6NT, and G3WDG also  have
similar products.

Hope that's useful............Back to the 2.4G antenna range at AMSAT-UK  now

73

David