From: owner-Eagle@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-Eagle@AMSAT.Org] On Behalf Of Andrew
Glasbrenner
Sent: Sunday, July 24, 2005 7:45 PM
To: Robert McGwier; Amsat-Bb
Cc: Jim Sanford
Subject: [eagle] Re: [amsat-bb] LONG and long overdue report

Hi Bob,

Thank you very much for the update on the Eagle transponder progress. The
SDR based transponders sound very cutting edge and extremely adaptible to
AMSAT's needs. I very much look forward to hearing them at the symposium in
a few months. I'll have my satellite backpack station that was used for the
Dayton demos, and will be glad to offer it up for demonstrating the new
transponders. CC Rider is also very exciting and sure to open new realms of
small stations and portable operation.

As someone primarily looking in from a user/member point of view I would
like to offer two comments. First, I'd hate to think we are going to hang
our entire mission on just the SDR transponders. Wouldn't it be prudent to
include at least a bare bones analog backup transponder? Please tell me this
is the plan. Second, I'd like to encourage that software development not lag
too far behind the hardware. I'm not a big fan of the idea of writing the
code once it's in orbit. One does not have to look too far to find where
AMSAT has oversold or overpromised features based on writing the software
after launch. Please take these comments in the spirit with which they were
offered, with only my desire to see Eagle as succesful as possible.

73 and thanks for your efforts,
Drew KO4MA
AMSAT #33438

----
Via the eagle mailing list at AMSAT.ORG courtesy of AMSAT-NA.