Re: LONG and long overdue report

Drew:

Thanks for your note and thank you for starting my petition.

First your worries are based on what I consider to be a false
propostion.  The false proposition, in my opinion, is that an all
"analog" transponder would be more reliable.  For many reasons, I
believe this
is false let me hasten to add, that this will get years of beating
before we go into orbit.  I believe it will be years before we have a
ride around which we can build a mission.  The answer is there will be no
traditional analog transponders on board as of this note.  None are
planned.

I completely understand your feelings about software and lagging.  This
is exactly what has driven me INSANE about RUDAK, etc. for years.  The
nicest thing about using the "Brickle/McGwier"
dttsp code, is that it already exists and works in a much more punishing
environment than our spacecraft and that is on multitasking,
multiprogramming, preemptive pseudokernels like Microsoft XP.
We are building an embedded microcontroller based system around the code
for work and play.  That is an easier environment to control.  I need it
for my work and that  demands that it get a thorough beating.  It will
get this beating.

I think you will feel more comfortable after we give the talk in La.  I
think from that talk, until the thing is in orbit, will be about 5-7
years.  I hate to be so pessimistic, but I am also a realist.  We do not
have a single inkling of an idea where we will get a ride.  We have
heard a lot of talk and hot air but not one person has been asked to go
to a meeting with a launch authority, much less sign a contract.

73's
Bob
N4HY