Re: ISS Contact

Thanks for the info Frank,

FYI for those trying to work ISS repeater...
THERE IS NO PL NEEDED!
The squelch is set pretty high, or so it seems on ISS.
DOPPLER is a MUST for UHF uplinking!
I have seen experienced satellite operators with all the right stuff
eg. Satellite antennas, Antenna tracking, and automatic Doppler
correction, BUT they also have problems at times!
If you are limited to a 35 watt radio and a vertical at home,
the LOW elevation passes 20 degrees or less are BEST for you for 2 reasons.
1. Doppler will be less on transmit. +-5kc
2. ISS will be within your antenna's radiation pattern.
Sometimes the signal will appear horizontal polorized, so at this
point your vertical will not work too well.

I have worked ISS repeater mobile with ease for a SHORT time.
Heard one station with 3 watts and an Arrow antenna on a HT.
Also, don't worry about the 2 meter Doppler for voice.
Digital stuff makes a difference, but you won't see much difference
and little or no difference on those LOW elevation passes on the
ISS repeater.

Hope this helps, and hope to talk to you on ISS.

73, Scott