Re: AO-16 Digi ?

At 6:08 AM -0400 7/20/05, Don Woodward wrote:
>You have to use UPW to digi through AO-16 - you can't use a normal
>packet program.

That's quite misleading.

What you need is the right modulator, the transmit part of the modem.
This only limits what program you're using if you use a program with
a built-in modulator. That is, one that uses the computer's sound
card to interface directly to the radio.

The other main way to do it, of course, is to use an external TNC
with its own special modem for AO-16 (and friends). Since Dave was
able to receive data from AO-16, my guess is that he's using a TNC
and already has the right modem hooked up.

Under those conditions, there is NO requirement for a special program
to digipeat through AO-16. In fact, there's no need for a "packet
program" at all. A simple dumb terminal is all you'd need. No special
formatting required, unless you want to be picked up by APRS
satellite gateway stations -- if any are still listening.

>On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 19:52 +0100, Dave H wrote:
>>  Just tried digipeating via AO-16 with no success.

My antennas are down after a house remodel, so I can't test it
conveniently, but last time I tried it was working.

>  > I tried unproto digi path(s) PACSAT-1 and PACSAT-11
>  > on all 4 uplinks on FM

PACSAT-1 is correct for digipeating. FM is correct. As noted above,
you do need to be using the special Manchester FSK modulator.

>  > Is there a specific uplink frequency to use or is it
>>  just pot luck?

Any of the four uplink frequencies will digipeat.

Check your modulation and your TXDELAY. If you're using a dual-band
radio, you may (or may not) need to increase TXDELAY to allow the
radio time to change bands before transmitting. If you have another
2m FM rig, you should be able to verify both by listening to your
uplink.

73  -Paul
kb5mu@amsat.org