Re: WX Proofing Rotors

Hi, Rick
I have my 5400 separated, and use a round plastic
trashcan over the azimuth rotor, and a rectangular one
over the elevation rotor. I bought a sheet metal roof
'feed through' like you'd use for a vent stack, and
run the mast through it up to the thrust bearing. It's
screwed to the cut-down round trashcan, hose-clamped
to the mast, and the assembly rotates with the mast.
It keeps water from running down the mast and all over
 the rotor. I trimmed them both to fit with a pair of
tin snips, and painted them so the UV out here
wouldn't degrade the plastic quite so fast. The rotors
aren't fully "weatherproofed", but it keeps direct
rain off them.
73, Jim  KQ6EA