RE: Airline Carryon

There is no doubt in my mind that the rules and regulations concerning RF
devices in flight are the result of the most worst case scenario possible.
99.9 percent of the time, most any device on any aircraft would not even be
noticed.  I've posted here before and I've often wondered why it is that the
LO in some device like a radio receiver is sooooo damaging when you consider
that these aircraft fly the beginning and end of their flights through some
of the most RF polluted corridors known to man.  Microwave systems, two-way
systems, cellular telephone towers, TV and Radio broadcast and on and
on....transmitting thousands of watts of RF....birdies, noise, harmonics,
non-linear junctions up the gazoo mixing all this hash up in overabundance.
So much of a deal is made of a LO....why you'd think that aircraft would be
falling out of the sky every day, all day.  There is no way that every
single passenger turns his/her cell telephone or blackberry or WIFI off
during takeoff and landing or during flight.  There is a serious proposal to
allow celluar telephones to be used during flight.  Holy cow....please,
NOOOOOOOO.

Again, it must be based on worse case and there is no way to verify every
possibility...so the rules must be in place for everyone, all the time.  No
RF at all.  For me....this is the best course of action, but sometimes it
don't make any sense.

Glad (hope) you had a good trip to Anchorage....I LOVE that place!

Gary Memory, N7BRJ