Re: Airline Carryon

Hi Folks,

Returned yesterday from my vacation in Michigan with 12+ hour flights both
ways.  My FT-817+mic+small brick amp was in my carry-on and never a
question in security....passed thru.  This is in Anchorage and Detroit
airports.  No promises elsewhere.  I had no batteries for the radio.

I wear a noise-canceling headset on the plane and never asked or noticed by
attendants...of course there are plenty of headsets used for music and
movies on-board.

Never operated a radio on commercial flights but have often used a 5w HT on
air taxis and helicopters with no ill effects.  Pilots up in Alaska often
install Marine-VHF radios or use HT's themselves.  Your mileage may vary
:-)   Many piolts up here use off the shelf GPS units velcroed to their
instrument panel...so?

Now got to read all 418 e-mail the filled up the computer!

73's Ed - KL7UW

At 12:42 PM 7/6/05 -0500, George Henry wrote:
>For U.S. carriers, GPS devices are not "approved personal electronic
devices."  Pretty much anything
>with an RF receiver or transmitter is prohibited by the carriers' rules.
Yet they allow laptop PCs and PDAs (without wireless capability or with
wireless disabled), MP3 players, and handheld game consoles, all of which
emit LOTS of RFI.....  go figure.  Haven't seen any clear rules on digital
cameras, but they can be quite noisy, as well.