Re: Shuttle launch

Thanks for the reply A.J.!  Your info is exactly what I was looking for ...

Another thought regarding the SAREX list ... the SAREX page on the amsat
site indicates that the SAREX program was replaced with ARISS... after
seeing that, I wouldn't in my wildest dreams think of checking for a
SAREX list to get current launch info.  Besides, the majority of the
internet using public (amateurs included) don't check mailing lists for
information... they check websites.

But given the shuttle's past amateur radio activity, why wouldn't Amsat
have a shuttle page on their site with a simple explanation ...
especially on such a high profile launch!   Something like this would be
nice:  "STS 114 is not carrying amateur equipment.  If you would like to
try and receive shuttle transmissions, here are a few non-amateur
frequencies of interest.  Here are the keps.  This launch is carrying
PCSAT2 ... it'll be released at this time over this location.  Here's
what you can expect to hear from PCSAT2 during it's first few hours,
blah blah blah".

I know I probably shouldn't gripe on this list, but over the past few
years I've come to realize that Amsat doesn't live up to it's full
potential in the arena of promoting amateur satellite and keeping
amateurs up-to-date on relevant space happenings.  All the info is
fractured... some here, a little over there, some absent, slightly out
of date, and so on.  These guys are capable of building and launching
some of the greatest satellites in orbit, yet they're really bad at
being a reliable source of information.

Don't get me wrong... I have great respect for Amsat and continually
hope for the best.

Regarding the "radio shack" satellite comment ... why not?  Mr.
Bruninga's original PCSat was innovative and it proved a point.  I
believe it is possible to build a functional and worthy satellite for
little cost... what's the difference between that and a $1m satellite
prone to the same failures?  Fancy over-priced parts?  What if I built a
$0 satellite with junk box parts, found a way to get it in orbit for
very little cost ... and it turned out to be the most popular amateur
satellite ever put in space?

Best,

-- Chris "Devils Advocate" Bradford, N1ZPP