Re: Free 3D CAD software

Daniel Schultz wrote:
> An unnamed software company is offering to give away a 'light' version of
> their 3D parametric solid modeler CAD software at no cost. You can obtain your
> own legal copy by registering on their Web site at www.x-cad.net. Everyone who
> registers will get the X-CAD product for FREE — but only if 100,000 people
> register by August 1, 2005. When 100,000 people register, each will receive
> directions via e-mail to download the free software. They already have about
> 66,000 registered. This seems to be a legitimate offer based on the source I
> got it from.
>
> Dan Schultz N8FGV

Caveat Emptor.  Beware, they have no published privacy statement.  They
could just be gathering e-mail addresses for spammers, as far as anyone
knows.

I've seen their announcement go by on a number of electronics hobbyist
lists, but I don't give personal information to companies who don't
publish exactly what they're allowing themselves to do with them.

(Yes, I can get "throwaway" accounts to do stuff like this with, but why
bother with software like EagleSoft and others already free that don't
make me question their business practices my conveniently omitting what
they're going to be doing with the information...?)

Nate WY0X