Re: Airline Carryon

Ah, but if the birdie from the FM receiver oscillator
is actually on the receive frequency of the avionics
receiver, then there is nothing the avionics receiver can
"fix"...  If there are 300 pax on board and all of
them are carrying  local oscillators, the probability
of one of them being on the operating freq is not
all that small...

>>> "kc6uqh" <kc6uqh@cox.net> 07/06/05 1:25 AM >>>
When I was doing some avionics several years ago a FAA Inspector related a
story to me that a DC-8 had problems with their flight computer because of a
portable FM radio. I asked him if they fixed the computer? He replied that
these radios have an oscillator in them that interfers with all avionics. I
pointed out to him that a 9Volt radio battery has very little energy and
that he just gave me a specfication that called for a test using 1 amp of
R.F. current in a wire in the aircraft wiring harness is to cause no
interference to any avionics being certified.
 I asked him how you could achieve a 1 amp current with a 2 mW oscillator 5
feet away? What would happen to this airplane if it's flight path took it
near a FM radio or Television station?
This ended the conversation, but gives some insight to the atitude of
Airline Pilots that have become inspectors and the stories that are taken
for the truth.

Art, KC6UQH