Re: Airline Carryon

As I recall, my VX-1 was the only radio I owned that had enough IF
leakage to break squelch on another radio, and this would only happen
with the other radio right next to it.  Don't get me started on RFI
from laptops, PDA's, or GameBoys.  ;-)

If I were to do any listening on 2m or 440, I would want to check
with the flight crew first, and make sure they knew I had no
intention of transmitting, and I would want to turn off the PTT on my
radio to avoid the possibility of accidentally keying up and also
make the flight crew aware of this.  I would also keep my license
handy (which I do anyway) in case passengers in adjacent seats got
panicked about "terrorist" looking activities, as the antenna does
need to be held up almost against the window to receive anything from
outside.  Hard to do that discreetly.

And as attractive as the idea might seem at first, there doesn't seem
to be all that much to hear at cruising altitude, given the much
higher signal level of "trash" RFI from all the much louder
unintentional radiators ..