Re: Airline Carryon

Les,

I would not recommend you check it.  Most airlines will not insure any
electronic devices in checked baggage so unless you have supplementary
theft/damage insurance for commercial flights you could lose it!

I think you should not have trouble with carry-on if you only carry the
radio and mic.  They are obvious commercially made radios and not
"home-made" contraptions.  HB ham radio stuff could be a problem getting
past TSA.  Be prepared to have them inspect it, though.  If asked I just
say it is a ham radio.  If they caution about using it in the plane I say
it only works in a car plugged into a cigarette lighter outlet.  Gel-cell
batteries will get much more scrutiny and may be rejected.

I fly out later tonight to Michigan for a weeks vacation and will take my
FT-817/mic and RFC-2/23 linear amp in my carryon.  I will pack my power
cables, antennas, etc (a stubby phillips screwdriver) in my checked bag.

GL, Ed - KL7UW