Re: Helixes and VO-52 (Was: Polarization of HAMSAT downlink)

Joe and Domenico,

I can agree generally with what Dom has said.

For the current crop of Leo sats, one does not need large-long, high-gain
antennas for good operation (except maybe for good reception of AO-7; I've
not operated on it so others can comment what it takes).

Up until recently, I had a 3-element yagi (the VHF portion of my Arrow
antenna) and a 11-element UHF yagi on my az-el crossboom (using a B5400
rotator).  One could even mount a fixed crossboom with yagis tipped up
about 20-degrees in elevation and it will work pretty good over most of Leo
passes (see Bob Bruninga's comments on this approach).

I mounted my two small yagis in vertical polarity for ease of mounting on
the crossboom.  I can understand the suggestion to mount them horizontal if
you might use them for non-satellite operations in parts of the world where
terrestrial operation is horizontal (in Alaska all VHF+ is vertical
polarity because most folks migrate from FM to SSB and vertical antennas
predominate on FM).

For satellite operation with a linear pol. antenna it matters not whether
you chose horz or vert.  If the satellite is circularly polarized you will
experience up to 3-dB penalty using linear antennas but that is really not
a big deal with strong signals from Leo's (evidence all the HT crowd using
whips).  At times when the satellite squint angle is high the signal will
be elliptical pol and you may get a little less than 3-dB loss at times.
You probably will see QSB on the signal using linear pol as most satellites
are spinning slowly and that can impart "spin modulation" (fluctuation in
signal strength).  But even folks using CP antennas see this at times.

I still have a 2m 1/4 WL mag-mount whip on a square sheet of steel on my
roof for reception either at 145 or 435 MHz.  It works pretty fair.  It
will work for uplink as well (be sure to remove or switch around any
preamps if you use it for uplink).

I have now begun to change over my satellite antenna system to prepare for
Heo operation later on P3E:  I now have my M2 436CP42 (21-element x-yagi -
RHCP) back up; took down the 3-element 2m yagi and will replace it with a
KLM-22C (switching CP) later this month; retained my 33-inch dish for 2401
MHz.  I will (soon) remove the 1296 45-loop yagi and it will be installed
on my eme tower for better terrestrial use (it still will be usable for
satellite as the eme array is az-el).

But I digress!  My point is using small linear yagis is perfectly
acceptable for Leo operation.  And a fine move up from vertical omni
antennas.  Later one can consider high-performance CP antennas if they have
the funds and real estate.  Rather than investing in switchable pol
x-yagis, I would suggest one "first" invest in good preamps at the antennas
for good reception (they need to be switching types if you also plan to
transmit on these antennas).

When you can hear the satellites well, you will work lots of stations!
High-gain switching-pol x-yagis will be needed when we get Heo's back in
orbit (if one has the money, then that will certainly prepare you for P3E
and Eagle) and still be great for use with Leos if you also have a good
az-el tracking system.  But one does not need them with the current sats.

73's Ed - KL7UW
http://www.qsl.net/al7eb/sat.htm