W2GPS Campaign statement (correction)

To all AMSAT members,

My name has been placed in the running for the AMSAT Board of Directors. I am
currently serving AMSAT as the President and as a member of the Board of Directors. I
plan to continue representing you, the members of AMSAT, on the Board of Directors
and I ask for your vote.

My goals for the next two years are to support AMSAT's strategic vision as expressed
in our Mission and Vision statements.  See
http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/AboutAmsat/mission.php. Items of particular interest
to me are to increase AMSAT membership, to assist in the successful launch of the P3E
satellite, to see the Eagle satellite become a reality, to establish an educational
program, to expand our international relationships and activities, and improve
AMSAT's member services.

Two years ago I told you that AMSAT faced challenges that require strong and
committed leadership with experience and vision. I promised to address three areas of
particular concern during my first term on the Board - expand our educational
mission, identify new launch opportunities and improve AMSAT's financial condition. I
have responded to these promises and I believe AMSAT has benefited from that effort.

. The education mission will require more time and effort. We have established some
mentoring activities with select universities and are planning for significant
expansion of our educational program. We have elevated Human Spaceflight to an
Officer level position and begun planning for future manned missions beyond Earth
orbit.

. We now have the "Launch Director" I promised. AMSAT's Executive VP Lee McLamb KU4OS
has taken on this responsibility. He has attended launch conferences and has
identified launch opportunities that were previously unknown. Working with Lee is Tom
Clark W3IWI who has been discussing new launch opportunities with the Russian space
agency.

. Our financial condition has been significantly improved through the efforts of our
new Treasurer Gunther Meisse W8GSM with improvements in our financial accounting
system, expanded fund raising efforts, initiation of a new Annual Report,
certification by the Combined Federal Campaign, a new investment strategy, and
reduced overhead ratios.

Much more must be done to position AMSAT for the future. As a Board member and
President I have expanded our Strategic Planning process and initiated a new Tactical
Planning process. The Board is now focused on strategic matters while the Executive
Team is focused on tactical maters.  I have reorganized the executive branch of AMSAT
into an effective team oriented structure. The Board and the Executive Team are each
now meeting via once a month teleconferences so as to maintain more active
interactions than in the past.

I have been a licensed Amateur Radio operator since 1965 and hold an Extra Class
license. I am a life member of AMSAT, ARRL and the Central States VHF Society. I
attended Cornell University in Ithaca NY between 1966 and 1976, receiving both
Bachelors and Masters Degrees in Electrical Engineering. Since then I have worked as
an Electrical Engineer designing radios, communications systems and other electronic
devices. I now run my own small company. I have served as an ARRL Assistant Emergency
Coordinator and received two ARRL Public Service Awards. My first satellite contact
was in 1976 via AO-6 using a home brew SSB transmitter. I was active on AO-10, AO-13
and other satellites. I have received two DXCC awards and I still casually chase new
DXCC countries. I have won awards for outstanding contributions to Ham Radio from
AMSAT, ARRL, TAPR and the Tompkins County Radio Club.

If you have any questions or comments please send email to my call at amsat.org.

Richard M. Hambly
W2GPS
AMSAT LM 2232, AMSAT President and member of the Board of Directors