Re: AMSAT Membership and Slate of Officers Issue BOD/Elections

Kevin:

Thank you for your generous offer to match new membership dues with a
contribution to AMSAT.  Your 'challenge' to those who are not
currently an AMSAT member provides an interesting and exciting
incentive to increase membership levels.    Hopefully it will result
in more than the 23 new members joining the team resulting in a full
allocation of your $1,000 offer.  BTW, anyone who is an AMSAT member
as of June 30, 2005 is eligible to vote in the upcoming BOD
election.  This means that new members must have their AMSAT
membership with payment delivered by this Thursday to Martha in order
to participate in this year's election process. The ability to vote
for BOD candidates is certainly a very important benefit of AMSAT
membership which Rick, W2GPS noted yesterday in his posting.

On a different subject...a number of postings have recently been made
on amsat-bb regarding the upcoming BOD election.  While I know that
you were disappointed that you didn't receive a reply from most of
the  BOD candidates,  I trust that everyone can appreciate the timing
of this past weekend with Field Day.  I personally spent 21 straight
hours at the Field Day site here in Concord, NC running a satellite
station plus working 40 & 80 meter stations.  I went 33 hours without
sleep.  The preparation for Field Day prior to  'kickoff' was also
extensive.   So please excuse the lack of response.  I was also
focusing on handling several issues this past week on behalf of AMSAT
as VP-Marketing & User Services.

I hope that my write-up will not only provide some personal
information but address some of the questions that our members may
have. In the meantime, prior to receiving the ballot along with my
candidate's statement, may I suggest a review of past articles of the
AMSAT Journal which I have written that should provide you with an
insight into the future direction of AMSAT as well as the challenges
that we face.  In particular, you may wish to review "This is NOT
Your Father's AMSAT" on page 6 of the January/February 2005 issue of
the AMSAT Journal which provides an extensive discussion of the
strategic planning process and resulting Mission and Vision
Statements that the BOD has embraced.  You may also want to take a
look at the March/April 2005 issue of the AMSAT Journal where there
are two articles that I wrote which you may find helpful.  The first
one is "AMSAT Dues Changes and Membership" (p.15) which provides not
only the reasons for the dues increase to $44.00 but discusses
membership impacts and the significant milestones achieved by AMSAT
in the past year.  The second article is "More on the New AMSAT" (p.
5) which addresses a number of issues raised on amsat-bb concerning
communication with the membership.  That article also highlights the
critical role that the AMSAT Journal and ANS play as our principal
means of communicating with the membership.  As this type of
information is of interest to every AMSAT member, you will find this
material only in the AMSAT Journal.

If, after receiving your ballot and reviewing my Candidate's
Statement and AMSAT Journal articles, should you have specific
questions, please don't hesitate to ask me directly.  As ballots will
be mailed to the membership by July 15 and completed ballots must be
delivered to the AMSAT office no later than September 15, there is
plenty of time for discussion prior to members making a decision.

Again, thank you for your willingness to encourage AMSAT membership
and to provide the resources to make this a successful effort.

'73

Barry A. Baines, WD4ASW
VP-Marketing & User Services and BOD Member
AMSAT-NA