Re: SAT Mode on IC-910H / FT-847

On 6/28/05, Simon Brown (HB9DRV) <simon@hb9drv.ch> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't own a radio with SAT mode, please help me here.
>
> I set the RX VFO to 145.900, the TX VFO to 435.350 and press the SAT button.

Actually IC910 manages sat frequencies like memories so you will press the
SAT button and you will select one of the 10 memories dedicated.

> [1] What happens if I change the RX freq to 145.910 - what is the new TX
> frequency?
>
> [2] What happens if I change the TX freq to 435.340 - what is the new RX
> frequency?

If you change RX or TX frequencies your rig would change TX or RX
freq. following
the "normal" or "reverse" rule you have.
Normal: +2khz in TX/RX means +2khz in RX/TX
Reverse: +2khz in TX/RX means -2khz in RX/TX

That's what sat mode does.
In order to compensate doppler you need to block the RX or TX
frequency and align
the TX or RX (I usually block RX and I align TX).
> To correctly compensate for Doppler on VO-52 I assume that I must update
> *both* VFO's even when the radio is in SAT mode.

In order to compensate doppler you need to block the RX or TX
frequency and align
the TX or RX (I usually block RX and I align TX).
Once they are alligned you can use the simple sat mode just explained before.

> Exactly what does SAT mode do - in simple terms please :)

It allows you to change 2 vfos just using 1 knob using the same steps.
On FM bird SAT the FM AutoFrequencyController (on IC910H is present)
allows you to compensate automatically doppler on RX !

Fabio
F/IZ1EGT