RE: S band to 70cms converters.

Does anyone know if the Drake or the Transystems converters will work  with
crystal to give a 70cms IF output?  i.e. will the VCO lock.

I believe the answer is "yes", but not without some tweaking of the PLL
circuit.  My Drake 2880 is running with a 301 mhz IF (I have an all-mode
scanner, so I picked an IF *not* in one of the ham bands), but to do it I
had to change one of the caps in the PLL circuit in order for the PLL to
sync up.

There is an article about the Drake 2880 on the web from JN1GKZ Masa - it's
in Japanese, but the Google translation does a pretty good job. (Google for
"430mhz if modification"; it's the second link).

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.ne.jp/asahi/m-arai/gkz/sband/430if.htm&prev=/search%3Fq%3D430mhz%2Bif%2Bmodification%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D

If this doesn't work, I have a paper copy of the older English version that
I can scan and send to you via email.

Good luck,

Greg KO6TH