Elections

I look at the elections basically the same way Rick, W2GPS, does. However, I
feel that to be an informed voter, you must do some work on your own. Do you
know the issues? Do you know how your elected officials voted for these issues?
Have you read the past two years worth of board minutes to determine if your
candidate meets your goals? When you ask questions of an elected official, you
get all the good. Does their voting record support this?

A check through older issues of the Journal will allow you to read the minutes
and make a more informed decision about which candidate supports your issues.

Would I like to see Eagle in the air next year? Sure, wouldn't you? How will we
do that on membership dues? Can we double our membership and accomplish it? No.
Where are the extra funds going to come from? $1 million for a launch is not
chump change. Will you help AMSAT raise this money? The board members, no
matter who they are cannot run the club on their own, they need the help of the
membership as well as those outside. They only provide direction they feel is
good for the organization. If I voted yes to every Eagle issue that came up,
would the satellite be in the air right now? No. Back to the same issue...
money.

How can we raise money for projects such as Eagle? The online store, ebay
auctions, and donations. Once again, do you have suggestions on how to achieve
our goal? Yes, then make your suggestion known and get involved.

I have been a subscriber of amsat-bb for as long as I can remember. I read all
the messages. I am annoyed by some and find others amusing. I don't like to
jump into them because as a board member, if I would say something that is my
personal feeling, right away someone says 'the board said this'. If I write
about Awards and Contests, it is another story as I administer them for AMSAT.
(oops... is that something I do for AMSAT that no one else cares to do? No,
there are lot's of people out there that will take over should I decide I want
to retire from it.)

I have been doing the AMSAT Awards since 2001. I have been doing the Houston
AMSAT Net over commercial satellite since 1993 and our 600th net is only a few
weeks away. Mind you, this is the 600th net over commercial satellite, the net
has been going on for some 10 years prior to my becoming a ham in 1993. I have
been doing the ARRL Audio News every week for some 5-6 years and This Week in
Amateur Radio for several months now. I used to do TWIAR way back when they
first started by sending cassette tapes to them each week. Would someone like
to take over these weekly news reports? Probably not.

I have represented AMSAT at local schools while they were making their SAREX
contact. I take off work so that I can attend the board meetings. Oooo... the
family just loves it when I take one of my two weeks of vacation and go spend
it with hams and AMSAT. I enjoy it, I don't think they like it.

Bottom line... Why do I want to be on the board? I don't know, I guess I am a
workaholic. Someone has to do it. Do I care if you elect someone else instead
of me? Nope, just means someone else will enjoy doing some of the work. Will I
lose any sleep if not elected? Nope. Should I post my resume here? Nope, you
can read it when you get your ballot. You will have 2 months to read my 1/3
page and make a decision. Why would I want to post it here and have several
people pick through it line by line. I don't need that.

73...bruce

Bruce Paige, KK5DO

AMSAT Director Contests and Awards

T5, 7.5Mhz