Re: Slate of Officers Issue BOD

Eric Christensen wrote:

>Bruce,
>While I agree with your statement that board members and officers
>should be on the list to hear the voices of the membership,
>unfortunately this is not the list in which this can be done.

Agree, but we don't have a members only list.....so where do we do it?
We have to do the best with what we have in place.....and this list, as
poor as it may be for the purposes stated, is the only venue we have
right now.

>Far
>too often we have non-members that feel it is their right to make
>their voice heard to our BOD and officers and this just isn't right.

We disagree slightly here Eric.  The input of non-members should be as
welcomed as those of members, but weighted appropriately....meaning the
members' comments should be acted upon before those of non-members.  But
every satellite user should be able to freely express an opinion.

One huge issue which has bothered me for years is why does AMSAT have
such a huge loss of members?  It seems we loose about 80 to 90 percent
of all the members who joined.  Why?  We should actively solicit the
input of former members as to why they left the organization.  A lot can
be learned.  Sure, some left because the kind of satellite they enjoy
isn't on-orbit.  Some died.  Some found satellite operations were not
their cup of tea.  But that doesn't explain the HUGE churn rate AMSAT
has.  Something else is wrong!

>They should step up to the plate and at LEAST pay their dues if not
>get more involved in the organization and help it become a success.

I agree, but you have to give the members something in return.  Many
times that is just knowing that 'management' is listening to them.
Listening doesn't cost a dime!

>I'll support the candidate that brings more benefits to being a
>member so that when big decisions need to happen we are better
>represented.  We need a members-only list and resources on the
>website and mail aliases.

I agree with you if we add one clause.....more benefits without and
increase in operating costs....

I'm afraid AMSAT may be gone, as we know it, sooner than later unless
the organization does some very serious work on member retention.  Take
a look at your membership number....think what the organization could do
if it could increase member retention to the 50 percent level.  More
money for satellites, more volunteers, etc.   Raising dues to compensate
for the lack of membership is not the answer.  Asking each member to
give more is not the answer.

>I think that instead of just a bio, we should get a fact sheet
>telling us what each candidate plans to do during their term and what
>they support and...  We shouldn't be voting based on name
>recognition, but we need to have the facts.

I couldn't agree with you more.

>Right now the only way
>to give these facts out to the entire membership is by mailing
>everything out with the ballot.

And that can still be done if the candidates address the 'calls for what
your position is' which have been addressed by the voices speaking here.

Regards -- Bruce
WB9ANQ
AMSAT-NA 3411 (for those who insist we include membership numbers :)

--
Bruce Rahn

Wisdom has two parts:
1.  having a lot to say; and