Re: Slate of Officers Issue BOD

At 03:40 PM 6/26/2005 -0700, you wrote:
>  Granted Emily does a great job on the website, but I heard it mentioned
> that it takes a large amount of her time, will she have time to do both
> or do we lose our webmaster?

No, I don't believe it will.  I wouldn't have allowed my name to be placed
in nomination if I felt that was the case.

I was asked a few months back if I would consider running if nominated.  I
took a few months to write some past board members to find out about their
experiences, what the time commitment was and how they felt about their
experience.  I then balanced that against what might be lost or gained in
terms of the quality of my other contributions (which are much greater than
the website - the website is only about 50% of what I do for AMSAT.)

What I found is that the role of the BoD is much different than most people
think.  The BoD, like almost all Boards of major corporations, concerns
itself with planning and policy and not with execution except in extreme
cases.  Corporate boards generally delegate research, development and
operations to an executive team who in turn executes the plans according to
the policy.  These are usually two separate bodies and in some way form a
series of checks and balances.

AMSAT, being a non-profit, has an executive team that includes some members
of the Board.   This is also not unusual - the CEO of a major corporation
(and possibly the CTO, CFO etc.) will generally have a seat on the
board.  So before I considered whether or not being on the Board was going
to impact other projects, I looked at these factors and concluded that it
would not impact them but could possibly help.

BTW, I was also advised that one doesn't usually win a seat on the board
the first time they run.  :-)

73,

Emily

W0EEC - CM87tm