Re: SSB UEK-2000 Down Convertor

At 08:53 AM 6/19/2005 -0700, Robin Alexander wrote:
>Does anyone have any info on this unit. I picked up a used one from a local
>hamfest and wanted to give it a try for V/S mode, but I have no data on the
>unit (it's a masthead mount).I looked on the SSB site but can't see
>anything.

Robin,

>From memory the UEK-2000 was the only mode-s converter that has a
sufficiently low enough NF and gain not to require a preamp for hearing
AO-40.  That means is should work fantastically for AO-51.  You should
mount it directly to the s-band antenna and not at the end of the coax feed
into your shack, as that will seriously degrade the noise figure and
performance of it.

Used with a small 3-turn helix, patch antenna, or small corner reflector
should suffice.
73's,
Ed - KL7UW