Re: ISS for Field Day

Date sent:      	Sat, 18 Jun 2005 08:56:06 -0400
From:           	Grant Mitchell <n4gm@comcast.net>
Subject:        	Re: [amsat-bb] ISS for Field Day
To:             	George Henry <ka3hsw@earthlink.net>, amsat bb <amsat-bb@amsat.org>

> Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] ISS for Field Day

snip...

> ALL satellite QSO's (including ISS) count for QSO point credit depending on your
> entry classification. A dedicated satellite station does NOT add to your station
> total. You can only get the SATELITE BONUS of 100 points once......1 QSO The ISS
> is not earth-satellite-earth so would not count toward the SATELITE BONUS.
>
> My suggestions:
>
> Try to work as many stations, on as many satellites as you can (no dupes!). Try
> to work our guys on the ISS (it will be busy).....it will add to your score and
> it's also a nice QSL card.  Work any ONE of the other satellites for the 100
> SATELLITE BONUS points......1 QSO.  Now sit back and work as many as you can on
> all the satellites and increase your score and have fun.  I'll try to be on most
> (no s band ) CW, SSB, FM and hope to work many of you.  FD call will be N4BP.

snip....

I would like to remind all subscribers to the amsat-bb that AMSAT has Field Day
rules which are different than ARRL rules. If you wish to discuss ARRL rules on
the -bb, then that is fine. However, AMSAT rules for Field Day specifically
state that you can only count ONE QSO per FM satellite in each mode that
satellite might be in.

Therefore, please don't confuse ARRL rules with AMSAT rules. I feel that trying
to make as many contacts as possible on FM satellites is counter productive.
The reason that the AMSAT rule was made is because AMSAT members are typically
better equiped to make a satellite contact (better antennas, more experience,
possibly better radios/coax/linear/preamps). They can make their one contact
and get out of the way so that those participating in the ARRL field day will
'HAVE A CHANCE' to try and make their one satellite contact for the bonus
points.

We made the rule to help ARRL participants to get the 100 point bonus, not to
try and hinder them. Please keep this in mind during your discussion. If you
want to make as many contacts as possible, please consider AO-7, FO-29, VO-52
and any other digital/ssb/cw bird.

73...bruce
AMSAT Director, Contest and Awards

Bruce Paige, KK5DO