Re: ISS for Field Day

What confusion?  I wasn't talking about scoring, I was talking about the fact
that the ARRL's refusal to adopt AMSAT's 1 QSO per FM satellite rule actually
CONTRIBUTES to the interference that occurs on the FM birds on Field Day,
making it much more difficult to make even that FIRST QSO, let alone any
additional ones..........  it's just like in economics:  lower the price, sell
more units, make more profit.  If you let everyone try as many times as they
want to, you'll actually have FEWER successful contacts, due to interference.
Limit FM satellite users to 1 QSO per FM bird, and you'll have more SUCCESSFUL
Q's, not less!    That is precisely the rationale behind AMSAT's 1 Q per FM
satellite rule.

The ARRL just doesn't get it:  it's not about the number of points, it's about
a policy that promotes SUCCESS versus one that actually leads to failure.
Here's Dan Henderson's reply to my request to implement such a rule:

Hi George:

Thanks for your comments.

This has been discussed in the past and was not adopted.  Limiting it to one
QSO kills the incentive for many groups to even attempt trying, just as your
point that allowing it kills groups from trying since they can't be
successful.  Unfortunately either way there are groups that will be unhappy.

By the way, they do not receive additional bonus points after the first QSO.
Any addition QSOs count only for QSO points.  You don't get additional bonus
points for QSOs on additional satellites.

73

Dan Henderson, N1ND
ARRL Contest Branch Manager