Re: ISS for Field Day

Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] ISS for Field Day

> What's REALLY a shame is that the ARRL refuses to adopt a 1 QSO per pass or
> even 1 QSO per FM sat rule for Field Day.....  they actually ENCOURAGE the
> type of operation that makes those birds practically useless FD weekend!
>
> George, KA3HSW

There seems to be some confusion about this so I will try to clarify.

ALL satellite QSO's (including ISS) count for QSO point credit depending on
your entry classification.
A dedicated satellite station does NOT add to your station total.
You can only get the SATELITE BONUS of 100 points once......1 QSO
The ISS is not earth-satellite-earth so would not count toward the SATELITE
BONUS.

My suggestions:

Try to work as many stations, on as many satellites as you can (no dupes!).
Try to work our guys on the ISS (it will be busy).....it will add to your
score and it's also a nice QSL card.  Work any ONE of the other satellites for
the 100 SATELLITE BONUS points......1 QSO.  Now sit back and work as many as
you can on all the satellites and increase your score and have fun.  I'll try
to be on most (no s band ) CW, SSB, FM and hope to work many of you.  FD call
will be N4BP.

Below is a copy of the satellite bonus Field Day rules.

7.3.7. Satellite QSO: 100 bonus points for successfully completing at least
one QSO via an amateur radio satellite during the Field Day period. Under the
"General Rules for All ARRL Contests" (Rule 3.7.2.), the no-repeater QSO
stipulation is waived for satellite QSOs. Groups are allowed one dedicated
satellite transmitter station without increasing their entry category.
Satellite QSOs also count for regular QSO credit. Show them listed separately
on the summary sheet as a separate "band." You do not receive an additional
bonus for contacting different satellites, though the additional QSOs may be
counted for QSO credit. The QSO must be Earth-Satellite-Earth in nature.
Available to Classes A, B, and F.

73 and good luck to all,
Grant, N4GM