        Subject: [amsat-bb] Planetary Society requests amateur
assistance.
        From: Joe Fitzgerald <jfitzgerald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
        Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 08:00:15 -0400

The following is from the famous orbital detective Ted Molczan on the
Hearsat
mailing list:

Long-time SeeSat-L contributor Vladimir Agapov has contacted me and
confirmed
that amateur radio observations will be highly useful to the Cosmos 1
project.
For example, accurate radio frequency measurements for Doppler
calculations
(even AOS, LOS or zero-Doppler times).

The Russian company "Space Informatics and Analytical Systems JSC" ("KIA

Systems") has developed various software for measurements processing,
catalogue
maintenance etc., and is responsible for ballistic and navigation
support of the
Solar Sail flight, under contract to Lavochkin Association, which
developed and
produced the spacecraft for the Planetary Society.

KIA Systems has created a special e-mail account, to which I will
forward all
radio observations that I receive via HearSat-L or directly, including
each
observer's name, station name and coordinates.

Please include the precision of frequency and time measurements. Timing
accuracy
need not be better than 0.001 s.

Information on the spacecraft's radio frequencies is provided here:

http://www.planetary.org/solarsail/parameters.html

"The spacecraft will broadcast telemetry at two different frequencies:
401.5275
MHz (UHF band) and 2250 MHz (S-band). However, the broadcast will not be

continuous; it is turned only when the spacecraft passes over one of the
ground
stations in our network."

Information on the tracking stations is provided here:

http://www.planetary.org/solarsail/tracking_stations.html

http://planetary.org/solarsail/images/ground_station_map_800x442.jpg

During the first day after launch, it would be highly desirable to
report
observations as soon as possible.

Scheduled Launch Time: June 21, 2005 at 19:46:09 UTC

Ted Molczan