Re: Graphical Satellite Tracking with Linux

John Magliacane wrote:

>Hello Jamie and everyone...
>

>>I still haven't gotten xplanet to work with earthtrack2. It complains about
>>needing some sort of switch. Maybe someday ...
>>

>Some of xplanet's options have changed slightly from what they were
>in earlier versions, and some minor changes to earthtrack.c need to
>be made.
>
>Simply change the -proj occurrences to -projection in lines 621 and 623
>of earthtrack.c.
>
>The default fonts used by xplanet have also changed.  On line 463,
>change the occurrence of FreeSans.ttf to FreeMonoBold.ttf
>
>Then recompile (run the ./build and ./install scripts), and you're
>ready to roll.
>
>If you haven't done so already, don't forget to edit your /etc/services
>file to include the line:
>
>predict        1210/udp       #PREDICT Socket
>
>This assigns port 1210 to PREDICT's UDP socket interface (used by
>PREDICT in "server" mode (predict -s)), and the associated clients.
>
>With PREDICT running in server mode, invoke earthtrack2, and within a
>few seconds, you should be looking at the world centered on your QTH
>with satellite footprints and sub-satellite points around your area.
>
>NOTE: SOME window managers (KDE) won't allow a program such as xplanet
>to control the "root" window.  xplanet documentation (and/or its web
>site) explains how this problem can be alleviated.
>
>This all compiles and runs without a hitch (including gsat) under
>Slackware (10.1).
>

>73, de John, KD2BD
>

>Visit John on the Web at:
>
>	http://kd2bd.ham.org/
>Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Check email on your mobile phone.
>http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
>----

Hi John:

I modified and rebuilt / installed earthtrack as you outlined above and
then went to the xplanet website and made the changes they outlined
under KDE 2, but upon invoking earthlink2 (after running predict -s), I
get 'Can't open display. Exiting from getDisplay.cpp at line 47.

I have no clue !

73, Jamie
WB4YDL