Re: Serial Cable for ICOM CT-17

Hello 9W2QC,

          I have an ICOM CT-17, and all you need is a straight serial
cable to make this unit work.  No Null-Modem cable is required.
(I hope you have a computer with a serial com port)  If you only
have USB ports, then you may need a USB-->SERIAL adapter.
They are commonly available from many local sources.

         This CT-17 unit uses a MAX 232 chip, and it needs to have
DC power.  I have found that anything from 7.5 volts to 9 volts DC
works fine.  Usually, these units come with just a DC power cord,
but you can easily find a "WALWART" (plugin type wall transformer)
to feed it.

          Oh, I also found out that you can program radios, such as an
Icom W-32a HT, with the CT-17!  But you need to make up a simple
adapter cable first.  Take an old molded MONO mini-plug cable, cut
one end off, and wire up a STEREO plug on the other end, connecting
the center wire (tip to mono plug) to the RING of the STEREO plug.
If you also make up a cable to go to a 4-PIN QUAD plug from the
Icom MONO plug, you can even program YAESU HTs, such as the
VX-2 types.  (In the later case, the rear RING gets the center wire from
the CT-17.)

73,
Charlie