S Band Helix

Hello
I'm doing some "stuff" with 2.4 ghz helix'.  I have seen some designs
that use a plastic type pipe  (pvc) for a form.  I bought a 1.2 ghz
helix on ebay that is a commercial unit and is enclosed in a large pvc
type pipe.  Do these forms have a significant impact on the performance
of these antennas?  I have read conflicting information about this.  I
want to establish a general consensus of what is "right".

73 Bob W7LRD
Seattle