Re: Graphical Satellite Tracking with Linux

Greg D. wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> I've used mtrack in the past, and supposedly you can lash
> xearth/xplanet to predict (but I haven't been able to make that
> work).  mtrack has a decent display of where the satellite is, a
> ground track and circle, and can track multiple sats at once.
>
> But, besides the eye candy, what do you want the tracking program to
> do?  I ended up dropping mtrack in favor of predict (minux the
> simulated Earth stuff), because I found the spot in the source where I
> could modify the rotor interface to match my homebrew controller.
> And, it also provided an interface that I could write a small program
> to drive the radio's doppler too.  So, I have total automation (at
> least, as total as can be with a 736r), but no graphics, at least for
> now.
>
> Greg  KO6TH
>

> Hi All:
>   Does anyone here have a graphical sat track program running under
> Linux?  I'm running a 2.6 GHz Celeron PC with Fedora Core 3 and
> haven't been able to figure out how to get GSat compiled.  The GSat
> version is labeled 1.1.0 and came with a download of predict.  Predict
> compiled and seems to run fine.  When compiling GSat the configure
> program complains that it can't find GTK.  Using the package manager,
> I have installed the GNOME software development tools.  Any ideas?
> Thanks,
> Mike K4MPL (ex KU4AD)

Hi Greg:

That's good stuff.  I have a friend who owns a 736R that is not yet in
satellites.  I'm working on him.  I like Predict for its simplicity and
the fact you can run it with a 'portable' kernel on a floppy drive. If
you've figured out how to read the 736R and drive the rotors, I wouldn't
mind seeing it and showing him what it could do.

73, Jamie
WB4YDL