From: owner-AMSAT-BB@amsat.org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@amsat.org] On
Behalf Of James C. Hall, MD
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 11:22 PM
To: 'AMSAT-BB'
Subject: [amsat-bb] Just another experience

Hi All:

I thought I would share a unique experience.  Tonight I had my camera
tripod
antenna contraption out on the patio this evening to test out function
prior
to FD. My 13 y.o. daughter Caitlin came out to watch me set up and
listen to
the noise. First SO-50 came up but no signals were heard. Then AO-51
came up
first for a 17 degree pass. Only mild attempts were made to get into the
bird but the preamp was working and I could hear. Good .. I was set for
the
later pass but this time coming out of the South-Southwest. After
changing
position on my patio so that the house would not block reception, my
daughter came out to 'help'. I changed my ear buds out to an external RS
speaker and got good audio.  At AOS, Caitlin was with me and held the
speaker with a flashlight. Suddenly, the static settled down and voices
were
heard. Caitlin's eyes just burst open in awe. I heard Lou, VE2DWE
running a
mild pileup tonight, so I gave a shout. Nothing came back in the
speaker, so
I kicked in the brick to bring it up to 30 watts. I gave another call
and
Lou came back with my call sign. Caitlin exclaimed, "You got him, Daddy
!"
Yes, I did.  Caitlin's eyes and exclamation was worth it all. I need to
re-live this often .

73, Jamie

WB4YDL