HT AO-51 squeal question

Hello All:

I'm trying out my new portable antenna setup this evening with AO-51.
Understanding that AO-51 will be in V/S mode during FD, I still wanted to
try things out in its present V/U configuration.  A quick question - I'm
using my trusty TH-D7A and understand the problem with feedback. I'm
wondering how others may have conquered this problem. I plan on using ear
buds tonight to separate audio in, audio out. I presume that a speaker-mike
would not work because there is no separation. What about a headset ?  I
ordered a Heil Traveler with a HT adapter - wondering is this might work in
this mode without sending up a squeal !!

73, Jamie

WB4YDL